Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Billy Idol Poop Face



Joey and I had the pleasure of attending our first ever childbirth preparation class last Saturday at Ann Arbor's Center for the Childbearing Year. What does this have to do with Billy Idol and poop? I'll get there...

We're taking a condensed version of their 7 week childbirth prep class, and so our version takes place on two Saturdays from 9:30am-1pm, with a third session on 'Negotiating the Medical Setting' (think information about interventions, etc.) the week following. I won't go into detail about what we learned (you can see the website for more details about the class), but lets just say that we learned a lot of good stuff. I'm really enjoying the class so far, am super happy we chose to go with this particular center, and love the instructor, Kate Stroud.

While a lot of what she said stuck with me, one of my favorites was the 'billy idol poop face.' This, she said, is the kind of face one should make while in the final pushing stage of labor. You know what she's talking about: the mouth snarl with one side of your lip raised while simultaneously squeezing your eyes shut as you work really hard. Too graphic? I find it hilarious. The point is to get the mom to laugh, thus lightening the mood when they might otherwise panic. Joey has promised to whisper 'billy idol poop face' to me while we're in the hospital--one of the many reasons I love my husband.

Other recent developments: we made it out to Ikea to get some of the final pieces to our nursery (dresser to use as changing table, rocking chair, ottoman), and I found a sweet video monitor on Craigslist for cheap--we'll be able to watch the baby while he's sleeping from downstairs while simultaneously watching TV. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment