Sunday, November 15, 2009

Intro this blog. Also, why I hate my sacrum right now.

So I might be one of the most slacker first-time moms that I know. For someone who's relatively excited about this whole baby-thing, I have to admit that I didn't get around to taking even one belly pic until 21 weeks. My husband had to force me to first consider writing things down since he pointed out that I might like to look back on what my first pregnancy was like. Huh, this blog is my way of telling him that I think he's right.

The details: I'm currently 23 weeks pregnant with my 1st kid--a boy. Yes, we're considering names, no we're not telling anyone what we're considering. You can call him 'the bean' for now...we do. (Although we did go through a brief phase where we referred to him as 'the colonel' just because it sounded funny.) I'll try to work in some info. about the first 22 weeks of this pregnancy in future posts, but for now I'll stick to today's topic: my sacrum (subtitle-my first experience with really uncomfortable pregnancy pain).

Until very recently I've had managed to get away with only a few benign aches and pains, but nothing to date has compared to whatever I did to my lower back/upper butt (aka: sacrum) yesterday evening. I was getting situated in bed when our beloved dog, Lucy, did something that I didn't like. While on my knees I sprung forward to reprimand her, and was hit with extremely sharp pain on the left side of my sacrum. Didn't think much of it at the time (although I'm sure I swore at least a little when it happened).

Later, when I tried to get out of bed to go to the bathroom, I discovered that I couldn't straighten my body, but weight on my left foot, or really do anything at all. Poor Joey got out of bed to try and help me but couldn't do much. Things were not better in the morning, and we paged the doctor on call with my OB (sorry doctor-lady...I'm sure it wasn't pleasant to have to call me back at 8am Sunday morning). My instructions were to ice for a few hours and possibly hit the ER if mobility didn't improve. The good news is that I'm pretty sure this is nothing super out of the ordinary: everything in my body is stretching and the sudden movement I made last night obviously pinched or pulled one of those ligaments or connections. The bad news is that I had a 5 hr business flight to CA today...the last one I'll probably be able to make for quite some time.

Long story short I've slowly become more mobile over the course of the day, and while I'm moving slowly and with some pinchy nasty pain I can definitely walk around. I've rescheduled my flight for tomorrow, rebooked my hotel, and need to collect a doctor's note first thing in the morning to take to the check-in counter (to waive my change fee). Let's all hope that things are either status quo or better in the morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment