Tuesday, October 19, 2010

the one where i cry a little...

I'll have to apologize ahead of time for all the bitching and whining, but that's kind of where this post is headed. In the past few months, Joey and I have managed to undertake just about all of life's biggest stress-inducing events all at once--Joey got a new job, I left a job, we moved to a new state, and if you go back about 7.5 months we had a baby, too. We managed to survive all of it and end up on the other side intact... Well, now I may have finally discovered the straw that breaks our camel's back: strep throat.

We had a lovely first weekend in Indy, with my parents in town to watch Oscar so that we could go to a football game. It was awesome. But we were also looking forward to our 2nd weekend, just about the only weekend we had in the near future with nothing to do but enjoy our new home together. We had planned some apple picking, maybe a farmer's market or two, and just hanging out. Cue Joey feeling sick early last week. Below is a list detailing what happened next:

- Fever Wed. night
- MinuteClinic visit Thurs: positive rapid strep test and penicillin prescription
- Still not well Friday
- Urgent care visit Saturday: 103.7 degree fever, antibiotic shot, pain/fever killer shot, new antibiotic prescription (Augmentin)
- Still not well Sunday
- Emergency room visit Sunday night when fever was still not manageable: they said to give the antibiotic more time, gave prescription for Tylenol 3 for pain
- Still not well Monday, starting to lose hope :(

So we missed our fun weekend, poor Joey feels totally out of control, and I've been taking care of Oscar, Lucy, and Joey for the past week. I'm exhausted. I'm also worried about my husband, and feeling terribly for him. We've had a hell of a time figuring out how to get to a doctor, because being new here we don't have a PCP yet and everyone seems to be scheduling new patient visits 2-3 months out. I finally got him in to an office (chosen only for the availability of immediate care) this afternoon.

Let's also talk about the fact that Joey's supposed to stand up in one of his best friends' weddings in Atlanta this weekend. That friend has chosen an emergency backup just in case, but we're still crossing our fingers that we can magically make him better in time. Wish us luck.

OK, I'm done bitching now. But seriously...could we all just ask Life to please give it a rest and allow me a breather? I could really use some sleep.

ps: One piece of good news...I just accepted a job :) More on that another time, but I'll get to work from home (and it's not a stupid work-from-home scam, either)

No comments:

Post a Comment